The following is a list of recommended procedures to follow when a storm or hurricane is predicted by NOAA for Narragansett Bay:
- Reduce windage, i.e. remove all canvas, dodgers, biminis, enclosures, etc.
- Remove furling jibs completely and stow below.
- Remove anchors that project forward of the roller furler and alike as the anchor will chafe away the mooring pennant in heavy seas.
- Lash main sails or remove completely.
- Your existing pennant line should be adequate, but if you add additional lines you must duct tape them together every 2 feet so they cannot tangle around the mooring ball.
- Double check and secure chafe guard/hose in place where mooring pennant or bridle passes through chocks. This is very important. It must stay in place throughout the entire storm. Secure additional chafe guard as needed at other potential chafe areas.
- Shut off head seacocks.
- Secure all ports and hatches.
- Remove dinghy from davits, dinghy dock or beach and haul to high ground.